Getting Rid of Mould the Natural Way

By , 6 June 2012

Getting Rid of Mould the Natural Way
Getting Rid of Mould the Natural Way
GETTING RID OF MOULD
 
At this time of year, mould and mildew is the scourge of many households.
The house is shut tight to keep out the cold, so ventilation is poor and relative humidity is high – especially if cooking, shower and clothes dryer moisture is trapped indoors.
On top of that, wet winter weather makes everything damp – and mould loves dampness.
Mould is a fuzzy growth on moist organic matter by several types of fungi. Mildew is mould growing on fabric. Both are toxic to your health.
If you are caring for a person who is already frail, disabled or unwell, then the toxic burden of being exposed to mould may make them more vulnerable to extra health upsets and can compromise their immune system.
Besides inhalation, people can become exposed to mould through skin contact and through eating mouldy food – which should always be avoided.
Moulds can produce several toxic chemicals called mycotoxins that can damage your health in many different ways. These chemicals are present on the mould spores and small mould fragments that are released into the air.
In high concentrations, mould fragments, spores, and mycotoxins can trigger symptoms even in individuals who have no allergies or other health problems.
Ailments known to be linked to mould are asthma and other respiratory problems, chronic sinusitis, including constant runny nose or red, watery eyes, lung infections, fever, headache, fatigue, allergies and a weakened immune system.
Hardy and versatile, moulds love high humidity environments (above 60%) and thrive in temperatures between 10 deg C to 32 deg C.
Mould spores can travel thousands of kilometres on the wind and can hibernate for up to 40 years before hatching.
Mould will eat almost anything organic – including the paint on your walls, carpet, clothing, curtains and other fabrics, hair, glue, paper, feathers, leather, cement grout, wood, and foodstuffs.
Water leaks are the primary cause of mould. They might be leaks in the roof, the downpipes, leaking kitchen or bathroom plumbing, your house’s foundations, or a leaking window – any of which can cause part of your household structure to remain damp – the perfect breeding ground for mould. You must have these leaks repaired professionally or mould will be an ongoing problem.
Also, the steam from cooking, showering and using the clothes dryer can make the air very humid – creating the ideal environment for mould to thrive. Ventilation fans should be used and these should vent outside and be cleaned regularly.
Now you know how bad mould is for you – how can you get rid of it?
Well, people recommend a variety of approaches and some work better than others.
First and foremost: fix the source of the dampness. Then, the mould treatment you choose has a chance to be effective.
Clove Bud Oil - one of the most effective and safest mould treatments – has been championed by Shannon Lush, Australia’s cleaning guru.
Shannon says you need just half a teaspoon of oil of cloves in a one-litre spray bottle of water. Lightly mist this solution onto the mouldy surface and leave for 20 minutes. Wipe off with a cloth, and then re-mist the entire surface and leave overnight. This will kill the mould spores.
The solution works best on hard surfaces like timber bookshelves and cupboards, tiles, and painted surfaces.
For mildew on a shower curtain, just spray the solution on, leave 20 minutes, and then launder in the washing machine.
Clothes that smell musty or mouldy can be washed the normal way but add half a teaspoon of oil of cloves to the water to kill the mould spores.
You can clean mouldy shoes and handbags by putting half a teaspoon of oil of cloves into a bottle of baby oil and using the well-mixed solution on a soft cloth to clean the item.
 
Pure Destiny Clove Bud  Oil is a 100% Pure Essential Oil that gets rid of mould the natural way.
Getting Rid of Mould the Natural Way
 

About Julie Bonar

Getting Rid of Mould the Natural Way